Canada is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and welcoming countries in the world, attracting visitors from all corners of the globe. If you’re an Indian or foreign national planning a trip to Canada, you’ll need to apply for a Canadian tourist visa. In this article, we’ll explore what you need to know about the application process, eligibility criteria, and other essential information related to a Canada tourist visa.
Overview of the Canada Tourist Visa
A Canadian tourist visa, also known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), is an official document that allows Indian and foreign nationals to travel to Canada as temporary residents, whether for business, pleasure, or studies. Depending on the length of your intended stay and the purpose of your visit, there are two types of Canadian visitor visas you can apply for – a Single Entry Visa or a Multiple Entry Visa. A Single Entry Visa is granted for a maximum of six months, while a Multiple Entry Visa can be granted for up to ten years, or one month before the expiry date on your passport or re-entry visa, whichever comes first.
Eligibility Criteria for a Canada Tourist Visa
To apply for a Canada tourist visa, you need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Possess a valid passport
- Be in good health
- Have no criminal history or immigration-related convictions
- Demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and intend to return after your stay in Canada
- Prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your visit
- Provide details of the duration and purpose of your trip.
- Supporting Documents Required for a Canada Tourist Visa Application
When applying for a Canada tourist visa, you’ll need to provide several supporting documents, including:
- A valid passport with an expiry date of over six months
- Proof of your ties to your home country
- Two recent passport-size photographs with a white background and no borders
- A sworn legal affidavit or an invitation letter from your relatives if you’re planning to stay with them
- A medical clearance certificate
- A photocopy of your return ticket and travel itinerary
- Any additional documents required by the local visa office
- A bank statement to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your visit.
- Application Process for a Canada Tourist Visa
Once you have gathered all the required documents and meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for a Canada tourist visa through either an online or offline platform. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Fill out a visa application form with all requested information and documents
- Pay the visa processing fee via certified cheque or bank draft
- Visit the nearest Canadian visa application center with your passport, photographs, and other documents
- Submit your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)
- Submit your visa application form at the Canada visa application center
- Obtain a valid receipt from the application center with a unique tracking number
- Track your application online using this number.
If you’re applying online for a Canada tourist visa, you’ll need a credit card and a scanner for the documents. If you’re under 18 years old, you must travel with proper documents while meeting similar entry requirements as adults.
Canada Tourist Visa Fees and Processing Time
Applying for a Canada tourist visa will cost you around CAD 100, while the cost for biometrics is around CAD 85. You can calculate how much it will cost in your country’s currency. It takes around 15 days to process a Canada tourist visa application, as long as your documents and application processes are done correctly. However, processing times may vary depending on your location and specific circumstances.
Immigration Laws, Travel Restrictions, and Health Requirements
It’s essential to familiarize yourself with Canada’s immigration laws, travel restrictions, and health requirements before planning your trip. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada has implemented strict travel restrictions that may affect your ability to enter the country. As of April 2023, travelers must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 and a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours before their departure to Canada. They must also follow all quarantine and testing requirements upon arrival.
Additionally, some visitors may need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before traveling to Canada. An eTA is a mandatory requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals, including Indian citizens. It costs CAD 7 and is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires.
Obtaining a Canada tourist visa can be a straightforward process as long as you meet the eligibility criteria, provide all the required documents, and follow the application process correctly. It’s important to start the application process well in advance of your intended travel dates to allow for any delays in processing time.
Canada is a vast and diverse country, offering visitors stunning natural beauty, vibrant cities, and friendly locals. A Canadian tourist visa is your ticket to explore all that this incredible country has to offer.